Saturday, February 23, 2013

Frog in a hole

After finding a Cuban tree frog (Osteopilus septentrionalis) in the garden, I began a survey to determine whether there were any native frogs persisting.  Many frogs are nocturnal, but my daytime searches did reveal three large frogs. 

A Cuban tree frog (Osteopilus septentrionalis) in a rusted pipe.
I found these frogs in sheltered nooks around the exterior of the house.  Once I had located their hiding spots, I could reliably find the same frogs day after day.  However, being able to see the frogs on a daily basis was not very comforting, since they were all Cuban tree frogs.

A Cuban tree frog (Osteopilus septentrionalis) in an exhaust vent.
At night, these frogs would emerge from their daytime retreats.  Sometimes I would see them nearby (such as the frog pictured below, which would spend the day tucked between the duct and the wall), while other times I would simply find their usual spots temporarily vacant.

A Cuban tree frog (Osteopilus septentrionalis) near its refuge in the evening.
The large frogs were coming out of hiding in order to hunt, and so too were many smaller frogs.  To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment