Friday, March 29, 2013

Les pigeons terribles

Although I was disappointed that there were no insects in the flowers, I did observe some flowers  receive a visitor of another kind.  As I was walking along and admiring the blossoms on a group of small fruit trees, my eye was caught by a large shape that dropped onto one of the branches, bending it nearly to the ground.

The common wood pigeon (Columba palumbus) just after landing in the tree.
The bird that had landed was a common wood pigeon (Columba palumbus), which is considerably larger than the standard pigeon (a.k.a. rock pigeon or rock dove, Columba livia).  I was surprised that the pigeon had landed on a branch that could barely support its weight -- and I was even more surprised when the pigeon turned towards the nearest bunch of flowers and ate them. 

A common wood pigeon (Columba palumbus) eating the pretty flowers.
The pigeon then proceeded to eat all the flowers it could reach from its precarious perch.  Later on, I was no longer surprised to find that not only are these pigeons shameless, they are fearless as well!

A common wood pigeon (Columba palumbus) calmly sitting tête-à-tête with an eagle.

No comments:

Post a Comment