Friday, April 4, 2014

The lion's share of the aphid

A few weeks ago, while I was on a trip to Arizona, I took a walk in the desert.  (I did not make much progress as far as walking was concerned, though.)  There were many flowers blooming along the sides of the trail, so I zigzagged  from one flower to the next, checking for crab spiders or any other visitors (but really hoping for crab spiders). 

Brittlebush (Encelia farinosa) flowers and one of the several crab spiders that I found.
It was not long before my diligence was rewarded by my discovery of a very small crab spider.  After that, I checked each flower even more intensely and in the end found several small crab spiders, some with even smaller prey. 

A juvenile crap spider (Mecaphesa sp.) eating what looks like a thrips.
For example, the spider above is eating a tiny insect that appears to be a thrips.  Meanwhile, the remains of another crab spider's meal can be seen in the bottom left corner of the picture below (it is probably a tiny fly or bee).

This crab spider had already finished its meal (if you look closely, you can see what was left of it).
In my search for the spiders, I also encountered quite a few other visitors to the flowers, including another successful predator.  This predator was a lacewing larva that I caught in the act of living up to its name 'aphid lion'.

A lacewing larva, a.k.a. an aphid lion, with a captured aphid.

No comments:

Post a Comment