Monday, September 15, 2014

The early bird and the fox

One morning I took my camera out onto the balcony to photograph the sunrise.  My plan was quickly revised when I noticed something moving on the ground below the balcony.

The red fox (Vulpes vulpes) that appeared below my balcony.
It was one of the foxes, prowling around the house.

It was a very handsome fox!
After pausing almost directly below me, it took a quick detour through the bushes.  It then reappeared a bit further down the lawn, where it seemed to catch the scent of something.  I hoped it was at most a very small rodent...

The fox picked up some accessories on its trip through the bushes.
 ...since one of the alternatives was another of our favorite backyard visitors.

The groundhog taking a break from eating clover to look around.
The groundhog had just made its first appearance of the summer a couple of days before, and the fox was searching very near the groundhog's burrow and favored grazing areas.  However, the fox did not catch anything, large or small, and was soon loping on its way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment