Monday, December 8, 2014

When a tree falls in the forest, it makes a buzz

When I found the downed tree pictured below, I was glad that I hadn't been underneath when it fell.  Then, when I inspected the tree more closely, I was glad that I hadn't been anywhere nearby when it fell.

A recently fallen tree.
The signs left inside the tree suggested that it had not come down quietly -- due to the colony of honey bees that had been living inside.

A piece of wax comb left in the hollow inside the tree.
The tree had been dead long before it had fallen, and the hollow inside it made an attractive spot for honey bees to build their hive.  If the bee colony had not already abandoned the nest cavity before the tree came crashing down, there may have been several thousand very agitated bees emerging from the wreckage of the tree.  However, by the time I came by, the cavity had been mostly cleaned out by opportunists...

One of several bug nymphs foraging in the hollow.
...with only a few bug nymphs left roaming over the bits and pieces of the bees' nest.

A close-up of another bug nymph.

No comments:

Post a Comment