Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The caterpillars eat their match, part one

Sulphur butterflies are large and tempting targets for my camera, yet they are surprisingly elusive.  Therefore, I was excited to discover one landing repeatedly on a row of Christmas cassia bushes -- and thrilled once I realized that the butterfly was depositing eggs on the plant.

An orange-barred sulphur butterfly (Phoebis philea) laying eggs on a Christmas cassia (Senna bicapsularis).
Even when laying eggs, the butterfly did not remain still for long, but at least it was long enough for me to get close and take a good look.  Then, after the butterfly had visited a few different spots on the bushes, it departed.

The sulphur flying off.  Some herbivore damage is visible on the leaves, but I didn't find any caterpillars feeding there.
Once the butterfly had moved on, I turned my attention to finding the eggs it had laid and any caterpillars that might have already hatched from previous clutches.  I found a couple of eggs on the tips of young leaves.

A recently laid sulphur butterfly egg.
However, the leaves were not where I found an orange-barred sulphur caterpillar feeding.  To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment