Friday, August 31, 2012

Whatcha doin', hibernating?

Ever since I moved in, there has been an old fence post leaning against the back of the house.  I recently tried to move it -- only to be surrounded quite suddenly by about five wasps (I didn't stay to count).  From behind the safety of the glass door, I watched and waited until the air was clear of wasps again.

I hadn't seen a nest on or underneath the fence post, so where had the wasps come from?  I went back at night (when I thought the wasps would be less likely to become agitated) to look more closely. 

A group of European paper wasps (Polistes dominula) huddled together between the fence post and the wall.
The wasps had returned to the fence post and were huddled in a tight group.  This time, I was able to identify them as European paper wasps (Polistes dominula), which I had also found nesting along the fence.  These wasps spend the winter hibernating off the nest, so it seems likely that this is what the wasps were doing -- although it is still summer.


The wasps don't appreciate being disturbed.
Hibernating or not, the wasps were a bit too aware of my presence for my comfort.  That fence post may have to stay where it is for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment