Friday, August 2, 2013

A farewell to spiders

Although I was excited to find so many crab spiders in the backyard upon my return from Europe, I knew that I would not have the opportunity to observe them for very long.  As soon as I had unpacked my luggage, it was time to start packing again -- only this time, everything was going into a moving trailer headed for Texas.  Therefore, I filled many of my breaks from packing with surveys of the garden, which turned up tiny crab spiders...

A very small crab spider on an aster
...camouflaged crab spiders...

A juvenile crab spider on a shrubby cinquefoil (Dasiphora fruticosa) flower.
 ...and hidden crab spiders...

A crab spider concealed in a daisy inflorescence.
 ...as well as the more obvious ones.

A female Misumena vatia spider sitting on a cornflower (Centaurea sp.).
Just as it seemed that packing would never end, the trailer was gone, my car was loaded for my drive down to Texas, and it was time to leave the spiders behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment