Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Keeping the enemy closer

While I was out for a walk, I came across a spider that was even more notable for abstaining from eating flies than the jumping spiders on the roses had been.  This spider had flies walking all over it, yet it made no move to catch them.

Flies sitting on a crab spider as it waits in ambush.
The flies were not in blind spots (crab spiders have eyes facing forwards, sideways and backwards); nevertheless, they may have been in the safest spot around.  Though the flies were tantalizing close, the spider may not have been able to reach around to grab them.  Another possibility could have been that the spider was simply waiting for larger or more appetizing prey to come along.

A bigger prey is a better prey?
However, as I was quickly being left behind by the rest of my group, after watching for only a little while longer, I left the spider to its hunting and the flies to their death defying stunts.

No comments:

Post a Comment