Monday, November 11, 2013

Assassins all around, part two

The lone assassin bug that I found in Maine did not seem to have many food options available as winter approached.  In contrast, back here in Houston, the thriving insect community is still supporting a large and diverse population of assassin bugs.  I've found these assassin bugs lurking in the park across the street...

A milkweed assassin bug (Zelus longipes), not on milkweed.



... poising to strike from the flowers along the road...

Another assassin bug on goldenrod (Solidago sp.).
... and even coming in through the hallway window at work.  Since I did not have my camera with me at the time, I captured this last assassin bug and brought it home for further observation.

A leafhopper assassin bug (Zelus renardii) that I caught and brought home.
Just like the nymph that I described previously, this related species of assassin bug keeps its front legs sticky, presumably to aid in capturing prey.  Having sticky legs does come with a significant drawback though, as I noted when I put this assassin bug into a container with some dirt.  Almost immediately, its legs were coated in the dirt.  When given a choice, however, the assassin bug appeared careful to avoid walking directly on dirt -- and by the next morning, it had managed to clean off all the debris.

No comments:

Post a Comment