Friday, November 15, 2013

Looking for a new backyard

One of the challenges of moving to an apartment was that I would no longer have my own backyard.  Although I could observe the animals and plants in the apartment complex's landscaped areas, it might cause some misunderstandings if I started photographing and videotaping directly outside the ground floor residents' patio doors!  After some thought, I came to the conclusion that if I couldn't have my own backyard, I would find something even better -- and now my new "backyard" (just across the street) is a park complete with woods, meadows, a bayou, and a chain of ponds. 

A view of part of my new "backyard".
When first exploring this new backyard, I was quickly tempted off the trail and into the tall grass to chase a butterfly that turned out to be quite adept at eluding me.

A common buckeye (Junonia coenia) butterfly perched on grass.
Once off the trail, I found that the meadow, which looked quite plain from a distance, was in fact full of wildflowers...

A blanket flower (Gaillardia sp.).
... and insects feeding at those flowers...

A skipper (Hesperiidae) visiting a flower.
... and also a surprising number of insects and mites that preferred to feed on me.  Therefore, in subsequent visits to the park, I made a slight adjustment to my wardrobe.

My new boots are not just for the rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment