Monday, July 7, 2014

Lap swim

While on walks in Maine, I frequently come across fresh evidence of beaver activity.  However, the beavers themselves are more elusive.  Beaver ponds seem like the obvious places to look for beavers, so each time I am near one, I scan the water...

A beaver pond with its telltale drowned trees.
... and sometimes even spot a beaver-shaped object... only to realize a moment later that it is only a rock or a log.  The beavers' lodges are easy enough to find, but never appear to be the sites of much activity.

A beaver lodge in the beaver pond.
On this particular occasion, after satisfying myself that there was no beaver in the pond or by the beaver lodge, I started photographing some insects and a frog at the edge of the pond.

A frog by the side of the beaver pond.
Then, when I looked up again, a movement in the water caught my eye.  To my great surprise, it was a beaver!

A beaver!
The beaver was swimming just a few feet from where I was standing at the edge of the pond.  I was startled by it, and it may also have been startled by me, since it made a large "plop" with its tail and dove underwater.  Happily for me, though, the beaver soon resurfaced and started swimming back and forth across the pond for several minutes.

* To see this video in high definition (1080p), you may need to: 
(1) click "YouTube" to watch on the YouTube website
(2) change the settings at the bottom of the video screen

No comments:

Post a Comment