Thursday, September 13, 2012

We only come out at night

Recently, I have been seeing less and less green in the garden.  The weather has been very dry and is now getting cooler -- but these aren't the only problems that the plants have been facing.  They are also losing large portions of their leaves to hungry herbivores.

A rose leaf that has been damaged by an insect, possibly a leafcutting bee.
I wanted to know what was altering the leaves, often in quite interesting and aesthetically pleasing ways; however, during the day, the "artists" remained anonymous.  Searching again after dark, I found a very different garden.  Wherever I looked, there were earwigs (Forficula auricularia).  I may have seen over a hundred earwigs during a single tour of the garden -- and wherever I saw them, they were eating.

A European earwig (Forficula auricularia) eating the edge of a leaf.
Although by far the most numerous, the earwigs were not the only insects busy chewing up leaves.  I also found a couple of black vine weevils (Otiorhynchus sulcatus) feeding under the cover of darkness.

A black vine weevil (Otiorhynchus sulcatus) eating the edge of a leaf.
The weevil above was just getting started on its leaf when I found it.  It was startled by the camera and dropped to the ground (these weevils cannot fly).  However, other leaves nearby had not been so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment