Friday, September 12, 2014

Fox hunting, part three

I don't know what happened to the gray squirrel being chased in the video.  It may have escaped on that occasion.  However, I doubt that it survived for long unless it left the neighborhood altogether.  It seemed like every couple of days there was fresh evidence that a squirrel had been caught by the foxes -- and that was just in our yard.  Most of the times, all that was left of the squirrel was its tail.

On two occasions though, we found the entire squirrel.  The first one was buried for later consumption.

A gray squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis) that wasn't vigilant enough to evade the fox.  The rest of it is buried under the soil.
Although I checked on it periodically, I missed the fox coming to retrieve it.  With the second squirrel, I was luckier.  I had startled the fox into dropping the squirrel and running for cover.  Once I was out of sight again, the fox returned to carry off its meal.

* To see this video in high definition (1080p), you may need to: 
(1) click "YouTube" to watch on the YouTube website
(2) change the settings at the bottom of the video screen

No comments:

Post a Comment